Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Saint's Past V. Sinner's Future

Over the past semester here at BYU, I've begun to notice several things. First, it's an extremely spiritual place and I love it. Next, it's pretty conservative. Finally, it seems sometimes, around some people, that if you have done wrong in the past/have a different interpretation than the majority, or just generally think differently, you're usually wrong. As much as I love my school, this is my main gripe. Sometimes, as a human being, it's hard to feel good about yourself if you don't fit the cookie cutter mold. Several of my friends in my Woman's Studies class have expressed this exact sentiment, because they either plan on graduating unmarried, aren't baby hungry, or don't really want to go on a mission. I find it comforting and sad at the same time that this is happening to several of us students. It's a bit hard to develop as a person when constantly being treated a bit differently because of different views.

Nevertheless, BYU is one of my favorite places and I wouldn't trade it for anything! I love this campus, mainly because of the beautiful lessons learned in my Book of Mormon class, as well as the wonderful spirit it has. A common saying is that the Church's teachings and beliefs are perfect, but the people aren't. That's something I've had to learn, and I know it applies just as much to me as anyone else. However, many students here have a perspective that everyone has to be perfect and if you have a little mess up, you're not worthy. That's not just students judging others- that's people judging themselves. Something all BYU kids need to be reminded of is the saying "every saint has a past and ever sinner has a future." Being here reminds me of the sermon "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God." While I know my Heavenly Father isn't angry, I do know that we all sin. We are all that way, as there was only one perfect person.

Just because someone sins differently than another or because someone's past was different, doesn't mean that their future path will be something to be looked down upon. One of my favorite things about the Book of Mormon is that no matter how many times the Nephites or Lamanites fall and get back into the pride cycle, they can always repent and get back onto the path. While there may have been judgement, it was never recorded in the scriptures. Every person was seemingly welcomed back on the path. As students at BYU, this is a pattern we need to follow. We must remember that in order to be good Christians, judging needs to be eliminated. We need to be able to let each individual struggle and do as they please, and not push their standards on others.

No comments:

Post a Comment